Saturday, July 14, 2007

Not long now...

Only 8 days to go. All that is left to do is pack! Lucas's suitcase is done and we plan to have ours packed by the end of the weekend. This is a different concept for me because I'm usually a last minute packer, but making sure we have everything we need for 6 weeks in Ukraine is an exercise in organization, patience, and compromise. Do I really need that travel iron?...you betcha! There are certain sacrifices that need to be made to ensure I don't have too many wrinkles...it's all a matter of priorities. Since we will likely have to handwash our clothes (we can't count on having a washing machine in our apartments), wrinkle reduction is a major issue for me...haha. I figure my quirks all balance out. I'm not a germaphobe, I don't mind using the squat toilets that are popular in Ukraine, the bathrooms on the train don't gross me out too badly, and I don't mind sleeping on sheets with a low thread count...but by golly I'm not about to wear a t-shirt with wrinkles in it...that's just uncivilized! Ok, perhaps a travel iron IS a bit on the "you've got to be kidding me" side, but I've come to terms with the fact that I have some issues and it's just easier to accept them than to...well...actually deal with them. Chris has learned to accept them too...when I showed him the newly aquired, dual voltage, compact travel iron, he actually said "Oh, what a great idea". That is why our marriage works...he knows just the right thing to say!

Lucas's surgery went very well. He was so brave and he could hear perfectly after he woke up. We were also brave...not a tear was shed by mama and daddy. I'm so glad it is over and my baby can actually hear me whispering. Well, it's actually been a difficult adjustment for us, since we had gotten into the habit of having conversations (usually about him) while he was in the room. Now he says "what are you saying about me??" or "stop talking about me". I guess selective hearing only works on his terms...not ours. Nevertheless, we're thrilled to have his hearing back to normal.

I will post again next weekend before we leave.

Lisa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa and Chris,

Praying for a wonderful trip for you three! Thanks for posting a blog!!!!

-- Laurel (Mom to Max, a. 2/05 in Ukraine)

Leslie said...

Soooo excited about your journey! We will follow the blog to glean wisdom from your experience!

Anonymous said...

I can hardly wait to meet Emma

Judy