Sunday, July 29, 2007

One day at a time

Hello everyone,
Our day started with us sleeping late and eating a light breakfast before going to the orphanage (Detsky Dom) to visit Yana/Emma. We played outside with her for awhile in one of the play areas. She seemed happy to see us this morning but she remains somewhat shy and reserved. after about an hour, Luba and Ruslan arrived to take us to an open market to buy Yana/Emma some clothes. Luba had asked permission to take Yana/Emma with us and they graciously agreed.
We arrived at a large outdoor market with many stalls filled with clothes, shoes, toys and other such things. We searched for stalls with children's clothes and managed to find 3 outfits, 2 pairs of shoes and underwear...for about 150 hrv (grivna)...which is about $30. Yana was quite excited to get new clothes and she was beaming when she was trying on a new dress to check for size. She was a little awestruck with all of the people and commotion going on. I believe this was her first experience in a market and she was taking it all in.
We then drove to a lake located in Nikopol, which is a local beach area where many people go to swim and lay in the sun. We stopped at a restaurant for lunch. We were told that Yana does not have much of an appetite which is why she is so thin...well...she had no problem eating more than Lucas...which in itself is quite a feat!! We should have no trouble putting a little meat on her bones! We had the opportunity to ask Yana some questions since we had Luba with us. One thing she said was that she has never been to a restaurant and that she was enjoying it very much. It is so overwhelming to imagine how much this little girl has not experienced. She smiled, and laughed...and even burped...after tasting her first Coca Cola! We will have many firsts with her in the near future but this first was very special to us.
We then went back to the market to get some meat, fruit and vegetables to last us for a few days. Then we drove down to the beach and the kids went swimming in this man-made lake that was cool and inviting. It is hot...so the cool water was very refreshing. We didn't have our bathing suits so the kids went swimming in their underwear while we waded near the shore. Ruslan, had his bathing suit with him so he took the kids out further than the shore and splashed around with them. I think it was the first time we'd seen him smile...I think he's got a soft spot for both the kids...though I doubt he'd ever admit it...haha.
It was time to take Yana back to the Detsky Dom and during our drive back, Luba asked her if she was happy to be going to America with a new Mama, Papa, & brother. She smiled, looked at each of us and said "Da". I think she's worried that we will change our minds but we've tried to have Luba explain to her that we will not leave her here. She nods her head in understanding but I don't think she really believes it yet. She seemed so sad when we dropped her off but I could tell she was trying hard to be brave. We've got many more days to earn her trust before taking her with us for good. She really is such a sweet little girl. We are extremely blessed!!!
Well, that's all for today. I'm tired from our busy day and am going to take a nap...or read. We miss you all.
Love,
Lisa, Chris, Lucas & Yana/Emma

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emma can't even begin to know that this is the first of many shopping trips. She will soon have lots of "girlie" things-with shoes to match!
Judy

Kathy and Matt said...

Dear Bush family,
It's so exciting to read your news of the past few days. Emma sounds like a wonderful little girl and it's neat how well she and Lucas interact already. We'll continue to follow your trip and keep you in our prayers.
Kathy (Ukr Angels forum)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

Such good news so fast! It sounds like a fairy tale, and I am sure it is for Emma. We enjoy reading about your journey.

Lori

Melissa E. said...

We are watching your blog since we too are planning to adopt from Ukraine. Our dossier is there waiting to be submitted now. I am pleased that you are able to update it so frequently and that you share so much of the small details of your visits. I can't wait to go and get our little ones! (We are going for three!)

Yana is such a beautiful name. I know you're changing it, but it is very pretty, just the same!

Have you been invited or allowed to see the rest of the orphanage or just the visiting area?

Congratulations on finding the missing part of your family! I wish you the best.

Anonymous said...

Lisa!!! I am just without words I am so incredibly happy for you guys!! I've been in computer heck for a bit, but finally got to your site, and OHHHH to find this incredible news!

Keep updating us on everything!

I cannot wait to meet her!

All my love,
Mindi

Anonymous said...

Chris, Lisa, & Lucas,
I am happy for your family.
LJ

Nataliya said...

Dear Chris, Lisa and Lucas,

I'm a preadoptive parent, who's enjoying reading your blog. Hope you'll schedule your court date very soon, and get back home without delays with your precious daughter!

Mark LaRocco said...

How wonderful and special that you found your Yana already! I hope whatever "red tape" you have left before bringing her home is minimal. It's so nice when good things happen to good people....
Mark

Anonymous said...

Nancy called me Friday with the fabulous news. Wow, I cannot begin to describe how happy I am for all of you. I'm sure my joy can't stand up to what you are feeling now! What a true blessing. Bring her home soon. Love, Steph (and what size clothing is she??)

Anonymous said...

Chris,Lisa and Lucas I'm so Happy and excited for you all. I have goose bumps just thinking of the excitement. Can't wait to read more and for pics. Im on the phone with Barb as im typing. So miss you and love you all. Congrats. Love Veronica

Anonymous said...

Well I have already started my christmas shopping. I have started Stephanie, Lucas and Emma. (toys) What sizes does she wear? I can't wait to by a little dress. Mom has someone to going shopping with know. And I bet she won't get tired. I can't wait to see her. Is she in scchool over there? What age do they start there? Hurry home. Love you all Tracey

Anonymous said...

Wow guys congratulations! I was thinking about you guys all weekend and was so glad to hear the good news. You totally made me cry! I'm so happy you found her so fast, hope everything else goes as smoothly, maybe you should keep getting lost and save the good karma for the adoption. Congrats again on finding your daughter, it is really amazing. Love you guys,
Jocelyn