Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Summertime is Here

Easter Egg Hunt

Coloring Easter Eggs



Hamming it up for the camera


Emma's first grade program




Lucas's Kindergarten program (he's in the striped shirt)


Pool fun


Future diver...ok...maybe not!



Fun with Daddy


"Ok, I'm ready...throw me"



Memorial day crawfish...the kids were not impressed.



Ok, ok. I know it has been 2 months since my last post. But really...I've been busy. No, seriously...busy. These kids aren't gonna raise themselves. I will try to do better though, I promise.

Anyway, summer is here and boy is it here with a vengeance! It's not only hot...it's Africa HOT. There is something wrong with the universe when my car temp reads 109 degrees F (that's 43 C for you Canadians). When I first saw it I had to blink a few times because I thought "surely I must be hallucinating" then I had to slam on the breaks because I almost rearended someone. But then when I got home I got out of the car and I was instantly showered with a humidity hug that was both unsolicited, and shockingly forceful. Sigh...summer is here. Thankfully we have the pool.

Lucas and Emma finished their school year with amazing report cards and glowing raves from their teachers. Lucas's teacher is convinced he is going to be an engineer and she made me promise to keep her updated on his progress through the years...just to prove she is right I suspect. Emma's teacher was just so amazed at how much progress she has made this year. We are very proud of both of our braniacs.
The majority of our weekends are spent in our backyard sanctuary...the pool. The kids have turned into regular little fish and progressively advancing toward a beautiful glowing brown color that makes me incredibly envious, since my skin is advancing rapidly towards...middle age. Yep, that's right, I'll be turning the big 4-0 in September. I remember (like it was yesterday) when my mom turned 40. I remember thinking "Wow, that's REALLY old". It doesn't seem SO old to me now...and I'm actually looking forward to it.

I have time for one funny story (and I've got a million of em...these kids keep us laughing constantly). So, last week I get a call from Lucas on my way home from work. He said alarmingly "Mummy, we are going to the waterslide for our field trip tomorrow and we need some more sun scream. You need to stop at Walgreens to get some". So, I stopped and bought the Walgreens spray kind (it goes on the easiest)...It was two for one...score!! Anyway, the next day after I got home both Lucas and Emma ran up to me and exclaimed "Mama....YOU got the wrong sun scream!!!!". I was like..."What?". They said (in unison...which is quite amazing really) "The sun scream you got is for ADULTS!!!" ...again...."What?". They sighed really, really loudly, rolled their eyes and said with as much exasperation as they could muster "IT SAYS KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN!!!!" Of course I started laughing hysterically and they looked at me with that "why is that crazy lady laughing at us again" look and I explained that it didn't mean that it can't be used on children's skin (which I really think they thought their skin was going to melt off or something), but it is to be kept out of the reach of children so they don't play with it and blind themselves by inadvertanly spraying themselves in the eyes or something. Their response was said in unison again, with such a sense of relief..."OOOOhhhhhhhhh". They seriously thought I had made such a grave mistake that would result in their iminent demise or something...or at the very least, the removal of their exposed skin. Gotta love their sweet little literal minds.

Well, I hope everyone is well. Please feel free to post a comment... I may be more motivated to post more often if I know people are actually reading...yes that's a bribe.
Love to you all.
Lisa

5 comments:

Susan said...

I'll take you up on your bribe! I love hearing what your kids have been up to. You are truly blessed with both of them.

Now as for your backyard haven - do you rent it out by the hour?? LOL

Susan

Mike & Tara said...

What a cute story! :o) I'm behind posting too - it's more fun reading blogs than writing my own! :o)

rachel said...

happy to see you post again, so happy your kids are doing well. loved the sun scream story... so funny!!

Veronica said...

I love reading your post. They always make me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Spot on with this write-up, I truly feel this website needs a great deal more attention.
I'll probably be back again to read through more, thanks for the information!
Here is my web site ... sci-fi book blog