Tuesday, July 24, 2007

We're here...

Well, we made it. The flights were long and tiresome but were uneventful and successful...meaning they got us here in one piece...and our luggage made it too. Lucas was GREAT on the plane. He was able to sleep for about 4 hours. However, his pillow (that would be me) was not quite so fortunate. When we arrived at the airport in Kyiv, we had some difficulty at customs...OK...I had difficulty at customs. Apparently, I am quite capable of completing a complicated adoption dossier 4 times, but I seem to have some difficulty with filling out a simple customs form according to the instructions. But, we made it through. We were met by our lovely translator and our driver. Our translator's name is Luba and she is very nice and is very experienced in adoptions so we feel we are in great hands.

We are staying in an apartment overlooking a street vendor haven. It is a great location (though quite expensive) and we are very comfortable. We spent the evening last night looking for a grocery store and ended up going in the opposite direction of where we needed to go (this seems to be a theme for us as you will soon read). But, we found our way and got water and juice and went to bed early (which was really late for us from our time zone). I tried to get our laptop hooked up to the internet but wasn't successful so that is why you have had to wait so long for an update...we couldn't find an internet cafe until now.

We woke up late and left the apartment at about noon to explore our area. We were particularly looking for Independance Square. Well, as luck would have it...we went in the opposite direction and spent 4 hours (YES...4 hours with a 4 year old) walking all around Kyiv. We did see a McDonalds...which I will tell you felt like the heavens had opened up and the angels were singing...we were starving. Nothing like the big M to make you feel at home...well...except...it was CLOSED!!! But we wouldn't let that get us down. We found our way to a tram that would take us back up the long hill that we had come down in our travels. Lucas charmed his way into the company of 3 sweet young ladies. 2 were from Arizona...in Kyiv to teach English for the summer, and the other was Ukrainian whom they had met through their youth group. Anyway, Lucas sure can pick up the ladies. And speaking of ladies...apparently I packed way too many clothes. It seems clothing is optional for the female population here, or at least the amount of material is kept to a minimum at all times. I feel quite frumpy in my kacki's and t-shirts. My attire screams "tourist" at every turn. Oh well, Lucas seems to enjoy the sights...and I dare say my husband is too. Can't say I blame them though. I've never seen more beautiful women in my life. Breathtaking really.

Well, after partaking of a sparse ham, bread and cabbage perogi's for dinner (I wanted potato and cheese but somehow that got lost in the translation...imagine that!), we decided to try to find an internet cafe. On our journey we came accross St Michael's Basilica and were moved by the sheer glory of it. We each lit a candle and enjoyed the silence. We then decided to keep walking and low and behold...Independence Square!! For the love of Pete...we found it!!! It is a mecca for tourists and natives alike. There are beautiful fountains and one you can walk in. Lucas loved that one. So here I am, we finally found an internet cafe so I could update you all. I told Chris that you would all be mad at me if I didn't update soon.

Our appointment at the SDA is tomorrow (Wednesday) at 3pm. Please pray that all goes well. We have waited for this appointment for 2.5 years and now that it is here, we are feeling the pressure. We will update you as soon as we can. We are meeting Sveta (our translator from our last trip) tomorrow night after our appointment. We can't wait for her to see Lucas. She is so special to us and we can't wait to see her.

Anyway, the boys are telling me they want to go to McDonalds (which incidentally, there is one here in Independence Square..yeah!) so I'd better go.

Miss you all and love to everyone. Keep those prayers coming (and you might want to add a little side prayer for us and better senses of direction...A. Monie...that means 2 candles)

Love,
Lisa, Chris & Lucas

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to call, but just missed you. I'm so happy to hear you made it safe and sound! And it's great you are finding your way around (somewhat!). Just think of all the exercise you're getting! Best of luck tomorrow. Safe travels and bring Emma home soon! Miss and love you, Steph

Anonymous said...

Oh, My gosh! It has been 2 1/2 years, hasn't it. I can't believe it.
At first, I wondered how your trip to "Mycraine" would work with Lucas along. Now, I see that it really couldn't be any other way. Will be thinking good thoughts for you for tomorrow. Hope you are soon on your way on the train with beds.

Judy

Kathy and Matt said...

Glad your trip was uneventful and you (and your luggage) arrived safely!
We will keep you in our prayers, especially for your appointment Wed.
Thanks for sharing your journey.
Kathy

Leslie said...

Glad to know you all made it safely and are venturing out to see all that Kyiv has to offer. I can't wait to wander the city myself! We're praying for your appointment tomorrow. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you the best!! May The Lord's hand guide your every step.

Jennifer Rebollar

Anonymous said...

Uh Lisa, the top of the map is north.Left is west...(let me know if you need any more help). I just finished updating Mom.She sends her love and says "Get going"(I think she's a little excited,so am I).Thinking of Y'all. Hugs and kisses all the way around.
Love Cath
P.S. Breathtakingly Beautiful???
get names(e-mails?)Love ya sis.

Anonymous said...

From Lori...

Got your update. Your experience with directions sounds like most of my Europe trips except we wondered around in circles for several hours - Italy, Spain, Portugal.

I'll keep you in my thoughts on Wed. I'm sure everything will work out just fine - positive thoughts get positive results. EXHALE and enjoy the moment! I saw "Peaceful Warrior" so I am practicing too.

Lori

Anonymous said...

You will be in my prayers tomorrow - wishing you a wonderful appointment experience!
Happy Trails...
Melinda

Anonymous said...

Wazup mi pero?
I tried to call you but guess u waz gone loco. lots of luck wednesday.
JUAN and MARGARITA

Anonymous said...

Hi Bush Family,

Praying for a good referral and safe travels for you. You are at the SDA as I type so I am sending up special requests for immediate peace and for your appointment to go smoooooooothly. Hope to hear soon,

Laurel (Max's Mom, a. 2/05)