Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A great day indeed...

Hello from rainy/partly sunny Ukraine. I won't keep you in suspense. We arrived at the SDA (2 minute walk from our apartment) at 2:15. Luba arrived shortly after and we spent time talking about what to expect in our appointment. At 3:00, a very nice young lady greeted us at the door and explained that she would be our translator for our time there. Luba waited for us outside. She took us to a room and introduced us to our "'psychologist". She was another young woman who was also very nice. She asked us a few questions about Lucas and what we were looking for (age, health, gender). After we answered her questions she brought out a few files. She went through each one, explaining age, location, known health, and known family history, etc. She answered any questions we had with each child. All the files were of girls ranging in age between 2.5 and 6. We narrowed our choice down to 2 (the two oldest) and we had some difficulty deciding between them. We asked Lucas but he wasn't much help...he kept picking "this one"..."no wait, that one". So, we talked as a family and made our decision. We chose to visit a little girl in Nikopol, age 5 (almost 6). The whole appointment took no longer than 45 minutes and we felt very happy when it was over. There are many more details that I really can't go into but I will tell you that we are very, very happy. Actually, relieved is probably a more appropriate word to describe how we are feeling right now. We will receive our referral paperwork tomorrow evening and then we can travel to Nikopol either by train or by car...we haven't decided yet. So, if all goes well, we could meet this little girl on Friday.

I need to give props to Lucas for a moment. We were really worried that this trip might be a bit much for him but much to our surprise, he has handled himself better than we could have ever imagined. We must have walked at least 6-7 miles yesterday and we expected him to complain about being tired (like at the mall!!) but he would only say "Let's sit down and take a rest". We found several playgrounds on our travels and he has had a blast playing on the old, metal slides and equipment. He has also been cracking us up constantly. Everytime he sees the Ukrainian flag hanging somewhere (there is a huge one on one of the official looking buildings) he keeps saying "Why do they hang my flag?". He doesn't quite understand that the flag belongs to this country and it isn't HIS personal flag.

Oh, Lucas just walked up and wants me to tell you "Her's a girl and I picked her". So there you have it. He's taking all the credit for picking her.

Well, I have to go. I'm not able to send any pictures on this computer but I will try to send some soon.

We miss you all.

Lisa, Chris & Lucas

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news!!!
While you're still in Kiev be sure to take the time , in the evening, to go to the top of one of the higher hills. The view overlooking the Dneiper River, with all the sparkling lights, is spectacular. You'll never forget the experience! I can still see it like it was yesterday---1966!
Enjoy the people, the food and the sights! Best wishes,
Bob

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Glad to know you made it safe. Sounds like you are having lots of memorable adventures already,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

You bring tears to my eyes. Have a great journey

Judy

Anonymous said...

Oh Lisa I can hardly stand it....Hurry up and come home and bring us that baby !!! Can you say baby Ya Ya ??? Send pix as soon as you can. Tell my Lukie hi. Oh and tell Chris hi too...lol. I am so excited for you guys.

LOVE YOU,
Angela

Anonymous said...

This is so exciting! Thanks so much for sharing with us. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I can hardly wait for you to post pictures.

Lezlie

Anonymous said...

Hey Bush Family!
Congrats on a successful day at the SDA! We hope all goes well with the referral!

Penney (and Byron) Brooks
Ukrainian Angels Family #646

Kathy and Matt said...

So excited to hear how well your appointment went. Can't wait until you get a chance to meet her.
Thanks for sharing some of the details of the process. It helps those of us waiting to travel to know more about what to expect.
We'll keep you in our prayers.
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is happening so fast! I can't wait to hear how the meeting goes! I really hope this is your Emma! Lots of love, Steph

Anonymous said...

HI Bush's, Tall bush, HOT bush and little bush! hope you are all okay, this is very nice all the updates my wife feels like she is there. maybe i can send her next week. can,t wait for all the pics of the "beautiful women" oh ya and the kids.
be safe
Juan and Margarita

Anonymous said...

Good luck guys! I was just thinking the other day, gee I should check Lisa's website and see when exactly they are going, I remembered it was the end of July you guys were leaving and then Mom told me today about your meeting on Wed so here I am. I'll be thinking of you and trying to send you some good direction vibes. I'm so glad Lucas is doing so well there, it should be a family event. Anyways prayers and thoughts are with you, I'll be in Vegas this weekend so they might be alcohol tinged thoughts, but still all positive! Say hi to Chris for me and to Lucas. Love you guys, can't wait for more exciting news. Joce

adoptedthree said...

Congratulations
so excited that you had a great day at the SDA. Blessings on finding your daughter.