Wednesday, August 1, 2007

A day in the life...

We’re enjoying the slight drop in temperature today…only 92F…whoohoo. Nothing like a little cold front to put a little pep in your step! (Thanks Mindi for looking up the forecast for Dnip. We’re looking forward to the cooler weather.)

We’re continuing to spend our days in essentially the same way. We visit Emma at 10am-12noon, then home for lunch, then back to the orphanage at 4-6pm then home for dinner. In between, we sprinkle our day with a variety of different things…just to keep it interesting! We either go to the supermarket, walk around, nap or read. In the evenings, Lucas watches a movie and falls asleep and Chris and I watch our DVD’s and enjoy a spot of tea. This will be our routine for the next couple of weeks. It is a comfortable routine, albeit a bit on the boring side.

We were sitting at the table eating lunch today when Lucas said out of the blue “I have a great idea! When I get big, I’m gonna get a truck and a big box from the big box store and clean up my country…because it’s dirty”. He of course is referring to the trash bins located in front of the apartment buildings as well as some discarded bottles and trash discarded on the some of the streets. He says he’s going to come back and clean up his WHOLE country. He says it will take 100 days. We laughed…and admittedly there was a small tear formed in my eye with the image of our sweet boy cleaning up HIS country. He says he “Loves his country” and we hope he never loses his pride in his homeland.

  1. For those of you waiting to travel, I thought I would tell you about a few of the essentials we brought with us that we have found indispensable.
    Laptop: We are so glad we brought this. Not only for the ability to access internet from our apartment (tenuous as it is), but for the DVD’s. We brought the entire 7 series of a BBC series “Monarch of the Glen” which is set in the Highlands of Scotland. (yes Margaret P…the father dies at the end of series 3...bummer). We also brought another BBC comedy as well.

  2. Portable DVD player: this was left over from our last trip (we didn’t have a laptop) and this is great for Lucas to watch his movies on.. He loves having his own “puter” that he can operate on his own.

  3. Coffee singles: coffee in single serving tea bags. Really good and easy to pack.

  4. Baby wipes: I wish we’d brought more. I can’t tell you how many times they have come in handy

  5. Granola bars: great for in between meals and on the go times
  6. Positive attitude: This is the most important!! I imagine this could be a dreadful experience if we let it. We’ve chosen to make this a positive experience…no matter what. Things are really different here but it’s not forever so we can take any kind of adversity…and do it with a smile…that goes a long way too!!

    Well, it’s time to brew the tea and pop in a DVD. Gotta see what happens next at Glenbogle!!

Love to you all,
Das Vidanya
L, C, L & E
PS: Ang…you crack me up. I sure do miss all my girls…the canines and the humans!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Lucas's mission in life! I can't wait to take my girls back to Ukraine ... goodness only knows what their take on things will be!

Enjoy your routine, and I guess you finally are getting lots and lots of the potato dumplings by now?

Check in with ya tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet of Lucas to want to clean up his country. What a sweet boy ! I know you are counting the minutes until you can bring Emma home. Oh and Angelle keep up the blogging you are doing great. Looking forward to your return.

Angela

Anonymous said...

You guys are amazing. Making lemonaide out of lemons. And we always knew Lucas was special! When he is done cleaning Mycraine, ask him if he'll help me clean. I love you all

Judy

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an air conditioning
business might thrive in the
Ukraine..maybe not. It's good
that Lucas takes an interest and
talks about 'his country'. He'll
and Emma can give their own views
as they grow. It's hot in
Hamilton too,,, have you sent
postcards/doggie gifts to your
'girls' at home? Bye for now.
Aunt Theresa. p.s. Aunt Dort says
hi and she's glad another Aug.
Birthday.

Anonymous said...

I have another message from
Great Aunt Marg. She is excited
for you all and is anxiously
waiting for pictures of
Emma Yana. Ray sends his
congrats along too.

A. Theresa

Anonymous said...

Hello from Texas,the only state in the nation.The rain has stopped and we too now are HOTTER.We hope you let us know the day you come home as we look forward to the newest member of your family.We will be at the airport.Remember to tell her those two words,aunt and uncle.Tracey is already shopping for both.I told her one day we will have 2 visitors for the weekend to spend the night.We are looking fotrward to this.Say hi to Lucas from Mike and Tracey

Anonymous said...

It was nice to catch up on your last couple of days. I love to read your stories, and hear about brother and sister getting along so well. We are heading to the North Woods of Wisconsin tomorrow for our family vacation. I will miss reading about your adventures, but look forward to catching up when we get back. I hope everything goes nice and smooth for you guys for now on. We'll be thinking of you often, and hope you get to come home soon. Mary

Anonymous said...

Just realized that all the comments I have been sending daily aren't getting to you, so I will shorten them all for you. A girl someone to shop with. Chris will be like Phil a big softy. Emma is a great name. I am so glad Lucas and her are enjoying each other. I really have to meet them both!! Lots of love Deanna