Thursday, September 20, 2007






Well, I can't believe we've been home for almost 3 weeks. Emma is doing so great!! I can't believe how well she is adjusting. She is learning English at a supersonic speed. She understands much of what we say and mimics everything that Lucas says. She's so funny...Lucas says "Mama, I love you so much" to which I answer "I love you so much too". When Emma goes to bed she always says "I love you too so much", even before I get a chance to say "I love you". It is so cute, especially with her little accent. She is something special!!
Much of their time is spent in our pool, which has become their favorite pastime. I admit, it is mine as well. No longer do I need to "entertain" Lucas by splashing about. I can now sit on the sidelines (because frankly...that pool is too cold for me) reading a book....yes folks...this mother of 2 gets to actually read a book!! Who knew that I would have this luxury. I read a few sentences, look up, watch them jump in, read a few more sentences...and so on! They have become quite the little fish and hearing their laughter just fills me with a contentment I've never known. They have developed a bond, deeper than I could have ever imagined. They hold hands when we are out shopping, and we frequently find one in the other's bed in the early morning just before getting up. I asked Lucas about this one morning when I saw him sleeping in Emma's bed. He said he got up early and he knew it was too early to get up so he went to her bed to make sure she wasn't scared. I thought that was so sweet!!
I took Emma to get her medical evaluation done at the Internation Adoption Clinic at Texas Children's Hospital. They are so great there. They were happy to see that she is adjusting well. She is low on the scale for ht and under the scale for wt (something we knew). Actually, her BMI is 0! I think she would fit in well in Hollywood! The Doctor gave me some ideas for a high calorie/high protein diet which includes fabulous things like bacon, fried foods, waffles, ice cream...yeah...we should all be so lucky! Chris and I want to be on this diet...except we'd gain 20 pounds in the first month.
We're having Lucas's birthday party on Sunday and Emma will get her first experience with an actual birthday party. I'm happy for Lucas too because he has handled Emma getting most of the attention (and gifts) for the past couple of weeks so well. He rarely complains, which is amazing for a soon to be 5 year old! He deserves to have a little attention thrust in his direction. His little world has changed so much too and he has handled it better than I ever thought he would.
We are a happy family, enjoying our new lives together. We are blessed indeed!!
L,C,L &E

6 comments:

Melissa E. said...

Yes, you are blessed! I have friends with only one child and they say to me, "{my child} is so much work that I can't imagine having another!" I try and tell them that one child is Waaaay more work than two in almost every way! They don't believe me, of course. I think they think I'm nuts anyway since we are planning to be a family of 6 before long!

Congratulations on you sweet family. I hope that this smooth transition continues!!

Kathy and Matt said...

It is such a delight to read your posts and hear how well Emma is doing, plus how Lucas continues to welcome her to the family. I'm hoping our soon-to-be 5 year-old will be that loving.
Loved the pictures. As we wait to travel it is fun to see how some of the children that came home to their new families are blossoming.
You are blessed and we're blessed through your gift of sharing your family's journey. Thanks!
Kathy

Tami said...

Lucas is such a great brother! It's great to hear how good he's being toward Emma. What a blessing!

Leslie said...

Wow, does it get any better than this??? Its beautiful to see how God has allowed everyone to bond and adjust. Our God is indeed good!

The Gregory Family said...

Wow... how great Emma looks! It is so fantastic to hear the stories of families like yours as you bring a child home and everyone is doing great. I truly hope we have the same story to tell when we return. Tell Lucas we send a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Anonymous said...

Loved your update Lisa! Glad everyone is doing so well, and happily adjusting to new lives!

Stay happy!