Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Home for a month....






Well it is hard to believe we have been home for a month already. We've been quite busy for the last 2 weeks.

Lucas had his birthday party and it was alot of fun. Emma was excited to play on all the "jumpy" things at "Pump it Up". She got to meet Lucas's friends and they have "adopted" her into their circle. It was really great to see Lucas back with his amigos and the little bit of attention that he got all to himself was great.

Emma started kindergarten last week and absolutely loves it! The first day was extremely difficult for me and Chris but she handled it beautifully. We dropped her off and she seemed somewhat confused and there were a few tears (the silent ones that just rip your heart out) but after we reassured her she wouldn't be staying there forever, she joined right in and had a great day. I, on the other hand, had a miserble day! I watched the clock for 6 hours and counted down the minutes until I could pick her up. When I saw her standing with her class while waiting in the car pick up line, I started sobbing. I was so happy to see that she was OK! It was like I had been holding my breath all day and I could now finally breathe. Her teacher called me that evening and told me that she did great and she had no worries that she would catch up quickly. Relieved is the only word I can use to describe how I felt. She has been going to school now for 8 days and her grasp of the English language has improved dramatically every day. We no longer walk her into school.. we just pull up to the drop off area, she jumps out with a smile on her face and we barely hear the audible "bye" as she skips off through the door. She is absolutely amazing!

My Mom, arrived on Saturday for a three week visit. Lucas is so happy to see grandma and Emma treats her new "Babushka" as if she has known her all her life. Her ability to adapt to new experiences is truly humbling. I wish we all could accept change as readily as she does.

Lucas and Emma continue to amaze us in their bond, but it's only fair to mention that sibling rivalry has arrived in our home. There are a few spats here and there but for the most part they still get along well. Thankfully, any disagreements are usually short lived so it hasn't caused too much trouble. It is difficult to decipher what "really" occurs when only one is able to verbalize his side of the story. Whining is typical in these instances from both parties, which is something that drives me bonkers, so usually neither gets the response they are after. I am finding that is much easier overall having two kids than one. It is a side effect I wasn't at all expecting.

To all of you waiting to travel, I wish you all the joy and happiness that we have received. Our two Ukrainian Angels are the greatest blessings we could have ever asked for and I hope the same for you. It is worth EVERY discouraging, frustrating bump in the road! I'm looking forward to following along with many of you as you discover the joy of your amazing children.

L,C,L & E

6 comments:

Debora Hoffmann said...

Lisa, thank you so much for posting your experiences for potential adoptive parents like me to read and learn from--and be able to rejoice with you! Your kids are precious, and I'm so glad to hear how well Emma is adjusting (and how well Lucas is adjusting, too!).

Hugs from Colorado,
Debbie

Mike & Tara said...

Lisa - I've followed your blog so closely and was excited to see your update today. You have a wonderful family and great outlook on life.

We'll be traveling to Ukraine in late November. I'm feeling more confident after reading your experience.

Best wishes to you and more hugs from Colorado!
Tara

Shannon said...

Lisa, I have been following your blog too... we returned home just over 3 months ago with our almost 5 year old little guy... Did I understand you to say 2 Ukrainain angels... is Lucas adopted as well, if so I didn't realize that... and how neat! Keep up the blog, I love hearing about others experiences now that they are home... things are going well for us with Eli and I like to hear when things are going well for others too!

Leslie said...

What a great update, Lisa! So glad to hear that Emma (and you) have adapted to school. I'm nervous for Kristina too! Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Lisa! I started getting all mushy just reading along with your first day worries and ultimate relief and happiness. They are remarkable little people, aren't they?? Enjoy every minute!

Kathy and Matt said...

Thanks for continuing to provide some updates. We followed your journey in Ukraine and it's now neat to see how everyone is settling into the new routine at home. You all seem to be doing wonderfully! It is really uplifting for those of us waiting to travel. I can only hope our soon to be 5 year old will bond with her new sibling(s) as well.
Love all the photos too!